President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday rejected the mercy plea of Yakub Memon crushing all hopes of the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict. Memon will now be hanged tomorrow morning at Nagpur jail.
Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court court cleared the way for execution of Memon as it dismissed his petition against the death warrant.
A three-judge bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra said there was no legal fallacy in issuance of the death warrant on April 30 or dismissal of his curative petition on July 21.
It said all rules were duly complied with in dealing with Yakub’s plea and he was also given adequate notice about impending execution so that he could avail possible legal remedies.
Security across Maharashtra and especially in Mumbai was beefed up on Wednesday afternoon immediately after the Supreme Court rejected a petition by 1993 serial bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon seeking a stay on his execution.
The hanging is scheduled for 7 am on Thursday in Nagpur.
Get Latest Legal News & Updates to your Email, Subscribe for Free